Crossing Borders Course Outline
The Course Idea in Short
In this course, you will have the chance to try out your ideas and build your capacity to act in the world. You will discover a global perspective in all that you do. You will meet the fellow youth from Denmark and around the world, learn, work on projects and travel together with them. You will see globalization from different perspectives. Global activism will be one possibility after this course. Global awareness will be a certainty.
Crossing Borders is an interdisciplinary course designed for socially minded and globally oriented students from Denmark and around the world.
- Introduction to the Danish society, culture and welfare system.
- Provide a unique learning environment for Danish and international students to raise their awareness about the key global forces and structures affecting their lives
- Provide dialogue space, communication and networking skills for active global citizenship with the Competencies to seek understanding, communicate, connect and cooperate across borders
- Focus on key current global issues of our time
- Taught in English by a multicultural faculty to a diverse student body
- Based on mutually complementing learning and action modules
- Solid expert introductory inputs, active student participation leading to concrete results, e.g. articles, short films, multimedia presentations, public actions, exhibitions, performances, and local or global initiatives
- Providing students with relevant knowledge, skills and tools for personal, academic and professional development to be able to live, study and work in any corner of the world
- With key projects and activities driven by students’ own interests
- Arranging two-week sustainability study tour of Eco-villages, Samso clean energy island and urban sustainability tour of Berlin.
- Study tours and exposure to Danish schools, public and civil society organizations
By the end of the course, you will complete the following 9 modules:
- Introduction to the cultures where the students come including the Danish culture and welfare system
- Communication and presentation skills. This module gives students basic knowledge and skills to understand the importance of and to practice effective communication and presentation in the age of global interaction and interdependency
- Exploring and analyzing the concept of globalization, how it is experienced and understood by different people in different parts of the world. You will learn about how the modern telecommunication and transportation systems are making the movement of people, ideas, services and products easier and faster every day. You will understand how these movements impact on every aspect of our lives, cultures, economies, environment and climate etc.
- Learning about the 17 UN Global Goals for sustainable development and civil society actors could contribute to their achievement by 2030
- Global Institutions including the World Bank, International Monetary Fund, World Trade Organization and selected examples of the transnational corporations
- The power of civil society and social movements in create a more just and inclusive globalization, with examples from the countries the students come from.
- The environment/climate module focusing on the impact of human activities on the environment and climate change and how to generate innovative ideas and technologies to live in harmony within the surrounding environment.
- 2 week Sustainable Living Study Tour around some of the most innovative Eco villages, urban sustainability and renewable energy centers in Denmark. The study tour is an application of the climate and environment module.
- The Media Module provides students with basic understanding of the increasing role of the media in social, cultural, political and economic in the age of globalization. This module also aims at inspiring the student to take use the social media for self and community empowerment
- The Understanding Peace and Conflict module provides students with the knowledge about the peace and conflict concepts, causes, issues, parties and needs to develop relevant tools for conflict analysis toward peace building.
- Social Entrepreneurship Project Management module gives the students basic knowledge how to develop and transform their dreams and ideas into concrete project proposals using SWOT (strength, weakness, opportunities and threats) and logical framework analysis.
Study-Tour in Denmark and Berlin
The main aim of the study-tour is to give Crossing Borders students a direct experience of the sustainable and initiatives in the countryside, on Samso clean energy island and urban sustainability in Berlin. The tour will take the students to the most innovative eco-centers and cultural sites of interests in Ananda (anandaaaorii.dk), Samsø island: www.cbsnews.com
The study tour to Berlin explores urban sustainability including: circular economy: crclr.org
Green fashion: greenfashiontours.com
Mimycri: the Berlin project where migrants make refugee boats into bags: www.independent.co.uk
Inclusion gardens: www.bbc.com/
As the course focuses on the core, current global-issues of concern, you will experience sustainable
living in-action where ordinary citizens, civil society organizations and towns and cities walk. We will
meet, live and work with people who live in harmony with and not on their surrounding environment.
Thus, we will live with the local people and participate in the everyday activities of these innovative ecovillages and renewable energy centers.
Come, meet the world and get a global to explore the world with open eyes, mind and heart 🙂
In addition to the Crossing Borders global studies a range of creative or physical themes will be available as well. The following electives are offered in English for Fall 2017:
Before the travel:
– Study group A: International affairs; Dance, dance, dance; Outdoor life
– Study group B: Yoga, Social entrepreneurship, Video on the move
After the travel:
– Study group C: The living line; Sing out, The big X-mas lunch
Please see a collective list and information about each elective on the Electives page.
A stay of 24 weeks in the spring will be divided as such
|Main subject + 2 electives from block A and B||Theme week about study tour||Study tour in Denmark||Main subject + 2 electives from block C and D|
A stay of 18 weeks in the autumn will be divided as such
|Main subject + 2 electives from block A and B||Theme week about study tour||Study tour in Denmark||Main subject + 1 elective from block C|
Teacher: Clara Nepper Winther
Content: Communication, globalization theory, project management, conflict analysis and media awarenes
Study tour: Denmark
Course start: January and August
Duration: Spring – 8, 12 or 24 weeks / Autumn – 7, 8 or 18 weeks
Price: Autumn 2019 – 4.650 Euro. Spring 2020 – 5.920 Euro
You might become a global citizen by traveling around the world, but you need Crossing Borders to become an active cititzen. Crossing Borders is a journey in life, which is not measured by distance, but instead by intellectual awakening, spiritual discovery and personal growth.
Mohammed Saber Mohammed, Kurdistan
I feel I’m not only learning whilst in class, but every second that I am here in Krogerup. I am constantly surrounded by fascinating people from across the globe with new and exciting ideas about our shared world. My time here is an experience I will never forget.
Ellen Killeen, Ireland
With Crossing Borders I become aware of my own knowledge, my inner voice and how to deal with different people and different cultures. You learn a lot inside the classroom and outside in the school community. It is a life-changing experience.
Yuri Vidal, Brazil
I am learning more about life here than in my past 18 years. I am surrounded by people from all over the world who believe that a change is possible and are willing to work towards it just as I am. Furthermore, I found a home.
Luisa Boa, Spain