Global activism and awareness
In this course, you will have the chance to try out your ideas and build your capacity to act in the world. You will discover a global perspective in all that you do. Global activism will be one possibility after this course. Global awareness will be a certainty.
The course in short
Crossing Borders Global Studies is an interdisciplinary course designed for socially minded and globally oriented students from around the world.
– Provide a unique learning environment for international students to raise their awareness about the key global forces and structures impacting their lives
– Create dialogue space, communication and networking skills for active global citizenship with the competencies to seek understanding, communicate, connect and cooperate with other people.
– Focus on key current global issues of our time
– Taught in English by a multicultural faculty to a diverse student body
– Based on mutually complementing learning and action modules
– Solid expert introduction inputs, active student participation leading to concrete results, e.g. articles, short films, multimedia presentations, public actions, exhibitions, performances, and local or global initiatives
– Providing students with relevant knowledge, skills and tools for personal, academic and professional development to be able to live, study and work in any corner of the world
– With key projects and activities driven by students’ own interests
By the end of the course, you will complete the following 9 modules:
1: Communication and presentation skills. This module gives students basic knowledge and skills to understand the importance of and to practice effective communication and presentation in the age of global interaction and interdependency
2: The concept of globalization, how it is experienced and understood by different people in different parts of the world. You will learn about how the modern telecommunication and transportation systems are making the movement of people, ideas, services and products easier and faster every day. You will understand how these movements impact on every aspect of our lives, cultures, economies, environment and climate etc.
3: 8 UN Millennium Development Goals which world leaders promised in 2000 to achieve by 2015.
4: Global Institutions including the World Bank, International Monetary Fund, World Trade Organization and selected examples of the transnational corporations.
5: The environment/climate module focusing on the impact of human activities on the environment and climate change and how to generate innovative ideas and technologies to live in harmony within the surrounding environment.
6: 2 week Sustainable Living Study Tour around some of the most innovative Eco villages and renewable energy centers in Denmark. The study tour is an application of the climate and environment module.
7: The Understanding Peace and Conflict module provides students with the knowledge about the peace and conflict concepts, causes, issues, parties and needs to develop relevant tools for conflict analysis toward peace building.
8: The Media Module provides students with basic understanding of the increasing role of the media in social, cultural, political and economic in the age of globalization. This module also aims at inspiring the student to take use the social media for self and community empowerment.
9: Project Management module gives the students basic knowledge how to develop and transform their dreams and ideas into concrete project proposals using SWOT (strength, weakness, opportunities and threats) and logical framework analysis.
As a participant, you will:
– Live and study in an international environment.
– Attend lectures and workshops conducted by experts in the field.
– Engage in individual and group projects.
– Participate in a two-week study-tour across Denmark.
– Develop and conduct workshops on the UN MDGs and voluntarism with high school students in Denmark
– Visit relevant Danish NGOs and institutions
– Take parts in campaigns with fellow students and teachers.
In addition to the Crossing Borders global studies a range of creative or physical themes will be available as well. The following electives are offered in English for Fall 2017:
Before the travel:
– Study group A: International affairs; Dance, dance, dance; Outdoor life
– Study group B: Yoga, Social entrepreneurship, Video on the move
After the travel:
– Study group C: The living line; Sing out, The big X-mas lunch
Please see a collective list and information about each elective on the Electives page.
Study tour of southern Sweden and the Danish island of Bornholm
The main aim of the study tour is to give Crossing Borders students a direct experience of the sustainable and innovative aspects of Denmark and Sweden. The study tour will therefore give the students a taste of best practice in southern Sweden and Denmark. We will go to innovative eco-centers and cultural sites of interest in Malmö, Tomelilla, and Ystad in Sweden and then the Bright Green Island of Bornholm. During your stay you will experience sustainable living in action, where ordinary citizens and civil society organisations apply sustainability in their daily lives. We will meet, live, and work with people who live in harmony with and not on their surrounding environment.
A stay of 24 weeks in the spring will be divided as such
|Main subject + 2 electives from block A and B||Theme week about study tour||Study tour in Denmark and Sweden||Main subject + 2 electives from block C and D|
A stay of 18 weeks in the autumn will be divided as such
|Main subject + 2 electives from block A and B||Theme week about study tour||Study tour in Denmark and Sweden||Main subject + 1 elective from block C|
Teacher: Garba Diallo
Content: Communication, globalization theory, project management, conflict analysis and media awarenes
Study tour: Denmark and southern Sweden
Course start: January and August
Duration: Spring – 8, 12 or 24 weeks / Autumn – 7, 8 or 18 weeks
Price: Spring 2018 – 5.750 Euro. Autumn 2018 – 4.140 Euro
As a teacher of Crossing Borders, I have a unique opportunity to interact with youth from around the globe and to learn to see the world through their different backgrounds and perspectives. In their stories, I have learned to see seeds of peace in the global challenges. I have come to believe that cultural diversity is as necessary as the biological diversity of the universe. Having such a multicultural group living under the same roof, studying, working in teams and traveling together seems to be the key to learning to live together on equal terms, which is the key to peaceful co-existence.
Garba Diallo, teacher at Crossing Borders
You might become a global citizen by traveling around the world, but you need Crossing Borders to become an active cititzen. Crossing Borders is a journey in life, which is not measured by distance, but instead by intellectual awakening, spiritual discovery and personal growth.
Mohammed Saber Mohammed, Kurdistan
I feel I’m not only learning whilst in class, but every second that I am here in Krogerup. I am constantly surrounded by fascinating people from across the globe with new and exciting ideas about our shared world. My time here is an experience I will never forget.
Ellen Killeen, Ireland
With Crossing Borders I become aware of my own knowledge, my inner voice and how to deal with different people and different cultures. You learn a lot inside the classroom and outside in the school community. It is a life-changing experience.
Yuri Vidal, Brazil
I am learning more about life here than in my past 18 years. I am surrounded by people from all over the world who believe that a change is possible and are willing to work towards it just as I am. Furthermore, I found a home.
Luisa Boa, Spain